The view out my back window.
The view out my back window.

We have been living in this paradise for over two weeks now, and we’ve adjusted well to life, maybe too well.  There isn’t too much culture shock given we have been here many times before, and coming to a life of summer loving, well, the living is easy, relatively; consequently, I still find that living a life of language and lifestyle in translation can have its many blessings and some challenges.  Here’s the gist of my days in this translated world:

• 8am rise and shine (to shower [most days], eat my oats and yogourt breakfast, with my smaller stronger coffee than at home)

Homework time! Really enthusiastic learners!
  • 9-11:30am = some chores (although on Monday and Wednesday I do have a housekeeper who is awesome – this is ridiculously wonderful), reading, helping the kids with their school work, especially writing, grammar and math work.  Although today Luca and I did some work on immigration and weather too, to keep up with his Gr. 5 class back home.

After a walk, right outside our lovely home, behind a iron fence!
  • 11:30-1pm = figuring out the plan for lunch (the larger meal of the day) and walking to get the necessary meal items (although often this just involves getting over to Abuela’s for lunch with the family).  Or, sometimes, we’ve used this time to do some walking, or exploring the downtown, or registering the kids in school.

Going to Abuela's house for lunch!
    Going to Abuela’s house for lunch!
  • 1pm = lunch and if with family, trying to follow Spanish conversations with passionate Italian intonations leaving me wondering “is this topic good or bad?  are people upset or not?” Examples of meals we’ve had for lunch: chicken and rice, roasted beef with mashed potatoes, tarta (kind of like a quiche varieties, but not really?), pasta, etc..  – always with salads (usually argula and tomato, or shredded carrots and red cabbage).  On Saturday and Sunday this meal is usually a big family gathering for delicious asado – a classic BBQ!
  • 2:30pm = Siesta (ahhhh – I love siesta)!  I usually start out reading, but soon my eyes give way to the beautiful heaven that is an afternoon nap under the whisper of a ceiling fan, with tropical breezes blowing into the room, while cicadas and birds lullaby me into my dreams.  Basically, the whole city shuts down from 12:30 to 4:30 (although these times are just approximates, so we are constantly living with the uncertainty of whether something will be open, or not; hence, I’ve given into the pause).

Waking view from siesta - yes, behind bars again, but pretty bars!
    Waking view from siesta – yes, behind bars again, but pretty bars!
  • 4pm = wake (sometimes this early) and go about more to-do’s for the day or just hanging about, sometimes more exploring.
  • 5pm= Mate (tea time) – often family comes here or we go to them.  It is a time where you sit around in a circle sharing a mate tea (basically a strongly smoked green tea in a gourd, with a metal straw).  Yes, all swap germs around the table using the same gourd and straw.  Apparently the burning hot metal straw purges all said germs – although I doubt it.  Oh well, “when in Rome”!  Accompanying the mate is a plate of delicious cake or facturas (those yummy pastries I wrote about last time), my favourite being the dulce de leche (milky creamy toasted caramel) filled pastries.  This ritual involves more passionate Argentinians talking about subjects I can sort of follow, but never quite understanding the connotations as positive or negative.  Shockingly, I am relatively quiet through these discussions (cue the laughter from those who know me).  Every now and then I interject with my enthusiastic attempt at communicating in Spanish with a horrific massacre of verb conjugations and achieving a barely comprehensibly Span-Fren-glish. IMG_0719 Yet, all make me feel understood, while they probably are thinking “man Cristian married an idiot!” And, more often than not, Cristian – trapped in a middle world – trying to bridge the communication barriers to help me be part of the discussion.  Sigh!  “I will get better, I will get better” – I keep this mantra to help me stay sane!
    Facturas pastries!

The sacred mate ritual! Tea time!
  • 7pm = some down time to walk, read, watch a little TV (there are some English channels here with Spanish subtitles which are great practice – I’m quite enjoying heaps of the Big Bang Theory and Friends, and of course we watched the Spanish version of the Olympics ).  Sometimes we’ve headed out on the town and then just eaten while we’re out, usually with Cristian’s sister Eliana and her husband, Gerardo (check out this link to his blog and comic work – brilliant!).  Last evening we went to the boulevard artisans and then enjoyed dinner out at a cafe.
Artisans in the park - yep, those are knives!
Artisans in the park – yep, those are knives!

Luca and Tulia with their Tia Eliana and Tio Gerardo (Cristian's sister and husband)
Luca and Tulia with their Tia Eliana and Tio Gerardo (Cristian’s sister and husband)

• Dinner out on the town!
    Dinner out on the town!

9pm = dinner time – yep, that is correct 9pm!  Here we have enjoyed things like empanadas, salads, sandwiches, pizza, etc…  And, if with the family, this involves more passionate conversations where I continue to be lost in translation, well, sort of lost.

• The evenings round out with getting kids to bed, tidying up, some chores, lazying about with books, internet, or TV.
    Luca locked in safely for the night!
    Luca locked in safely for the night!

Metal doors lock us in the bedroom area. Safety first!
  • 12am usually finds us thinking about heading to bed.  Unbelievably, a language I’ve become quickly proficient in is sleep!  Yep!  That’s right!  No more 4 hour sleeps for me, I’ve become an 8 hour sleeper a night!  Feels great, although my old bones really miss my comfy mattress at home! Each night brings a full lock-down.   It took some getting use to sleeping behind bars, literally!  The house is divided between a main living area to a bedroom area, and to divide the two there are metal-barred doors that lock us in, with bars on the windows  and garage-door like shutters on the front rooms.  Well, we’re safe, right?
  •  Pool you ask?  Anytime can be pool time around here! Except when a scorpion is in the pool – yes, there was a drowned scorpion in the pool!
    Fun times with the family in the pool!
    Fun times with the family in the pool!

Drowned scorpion!
    Drowned scorpion!

So, that’s what a day looks like for us here.  Although I still struggle with many uncertainties and unknowns.  I’m accustomed to knowing “the plan” for each day, and here I sometimes struggle with not having that.  For instance, when people just show up, it throws me off because I like to know people are coming; I like to be “ready” for them.  Likewise, I feel the need to be forewarned that we are going somewhere, not “let’s go to my mom’s for dinner, now”!  I’m use to being in charge and establishing the plans, but here I’m often left out of the loop.  I need to get over that, I know. Often the pace is very “doh-dee-doh” and then, instantly, “now”!   So, I’m a little lost in translation with it.  Often, I admit, I get frustrated feeling led around by a leash not knowing where we are going, when, or why.  Obviously, this is a communication growth area for us both.  There are moments when I need to be more direct about what I want or need, but not bitchy about it (I know, shocking, that I could ever be that!), and there are moments when I just need to chill-out.

View out the window of the front of our house, the garden and carpark.

Our world in Calgary runs by the clock with heights of “to-do” piles accumulating!  This, as you know, is a mighty stressful lifestyle in Canada! So,  I quickly and happily shifted my reality from these piles and racing clocks into a gently paced reality here, most days.  Ironically, of course, I clocked the gist of my days in this post!  Argh!  This slower pace I really like because it allows me to savour things like family-time, friends, reading heaps, writing, food, and reflecting; I need to up my pace in terms of daily activity so I can still wear the bathing suits I brought though!  It is easy to fall into the “doh-dee-doh” way that leads onto way!

I know this world is a fleeting wonderland and despite the mad confusion of being lost sometimes, I’ll be sure to Pause, Breathe, and Smile while I can!

Luca the artist!
Luca the artist! Mom, can I have my ipad back now?

Luca & Tulia in the park!
Luca & Tulia in the park!
Tulia the Mermaid!
Tulia the Mermaid!

6 thoughts on “Living Lost in Translation and Loving It!

1. Pam – I am curious as to why all the barred areas are needed. Bars for the bedroom area, gates at the front of the house, and the garage area you mentioned. What is the worry? Does it make you feel safer? Or less safe?
    I too would have a difficult time giving over the ‘power’ of control. Looking forward to reading how things are going.

1. Great question! There is really no articulation of it, as it is the norm, and when asked why, the question seems absurd to Argentinians. It is indicative of a world of severe haves and have-nots with an economy that fluctuates, drastically, and there is a huge segment of the population who live in desperation. If a home appears vulnerable, it is. The living part of the house is entirely slide patio doors – which is very cool to have that fresh open air and breeze in the daytime (but not when mosquito hour hits). But this “luxury” brings with it vulnerability as it is only glass without lockdown shutters, hence the bedroom side has extra security. It leaves me feeling both secure and insecure due to the paradox of being over-secure and under at the same time.

2. Hi Pammie — After a crazy Monday, like the ones you have left behind, I came home after our staff meeting and decided to sit down for a cup of tea before I continue the madness. The concept of tea time, in any culture, is so incredibly civilized. Oh, how I long for the days, when Canada will adopt the siesta. Until then, my friend, enjoy these days of lost control as I’m confident they will have a positive residual when you return to Canada. Love you lots, hugs all around. BA xox P.S. Rose Marie showed me the Sears Festival schedule for this year. Forest Heights is putting on “I Never Saw Another Butterfly”. I hope there are butterflies all around you.

1. Hugs my dear friend! Exciting to know this great play will continue on; it is my heart’s play – well Antigone too! There truly are butterflies and dragonflies that abound here – in fact, butterflies like to find their way into the house when the patio doors are left open! I still want a butterfly tattoo someday!

3. Thanks Pam for sending me the links to all your Blogs. I really enjoyed reading them. Argentina sounds wonderful. Eating, sleeping, reading and being with friends and family what more could you ask for. When I was reading the Blogs all I could think about was how heavenly it must be to sit by the side of your pool and read. I don’t think it gets much better then reading a good book outside in the sun. Take care, we think of you often and are totally envious of your experience.
    Joanne

1. Ah – thanks for reading darling! You would so love it! Wish you could join us!
      HUGS!